[Uim] Suggestions for uim-0.4.6

UTUMI Hirosi utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Oct 22 07:13:42 EEST 2004

Hi,

I have some suggestions for uim-0.4.6.

1. We need to save the settings of uim-toolbar-gtk.
We don't need to specify a translation engine in uim-0.4.5:
GTK_IM_MODULE=uim
XMODIFIERS=@im=uim

UIM decides the default translation engine by locale.
But we have some translation engines in CJK locales, so users
choose one of them by uim-im-switcher.
In Japanese locale, the default translaton engine is Anthy.
If you want to use SKK, you need to choose it by uim-im-switcher every time.

If you use UIM in en_US.UTF-8, the default translation engine is
uim-default. You need to choose an engine every time.

I think uim-im-switcher and uim-toolbar-gtk should save the settings in ~/.uim.
[example]
translation engine: prime {skk, anthy, hangul2, m17n-th-kesmanee etc.}
keyboard: hiragana input {romaji input}

---
2. Most users don't think "uim-default" means "no translation engines".
I think "uim-direct" or "uim-no_engines" is better.

3. We can't switch english<=>local language by shift+space on m17n-* engines.
$ gedit
right click => choose uim-m17n-ar-kbd.
You can type Arabian words, but you can't go back to English by Shift+Space.

Thank you for your great work.
Hirosi