[Uim] Suggestions for uim-0.4.6

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Sat Oct 23 21:33:43 EEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:13:42 +0900 (JST)
UTUMI Hirosi <utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> I have some suggestions for uim-0.4.6.
>
> 1. We need to save the settings of uim-toolbar-gtk.
> We don't need to specify a translation engine in uim-0.4.5:

'Conversion engine' seems more applopriate than 'translation engine' here.

> UIM decides the default translation engine by locale.
> But we have some translation engines in CJK locales, so users
> choose one of them by uim-im-switcher.
> In Japanese locale, the default translaton engine is Anthy.
> If you want to use SKK, you need to choose it by uim-im-switcher every
> time.
>
> If you use UIM in en_US.UTF-8, the default translation engine is
> uim-default. You need to choose an engine every time.
>
> I think uim-im-switcher and uim-toolbar-gtk should save the settings
> in ~/.uim.[example]
> translation engine: prime {skk, anthy, hangul2, m17n-th-kesmanee etc.}
> keyboard: hiragana input {romaji input}

Though uim cannot determine keyboard according to user setting, can
determine default input method.

In ~/.uim:

(define default-im-name 'skk)

will allow you to set default input method to skk.

Also we have a plan to implement GUI preference tool for such basic
settings til 1.0.0.

> ---
> 2. Most users don't think "uim-default" means "no translation
> engines". I think "uim-direct" or "uim-no_engines" is better.

Surely uim-default is confusing. I'll change the name of uim-default.

> 3. We can't switch english<=>local language by shift+space on m17n-*
> engines.$ gedit
> right click => choose uim-m17n-ar-kbd.
> You can type Arabian words, but you can't go back to English by
> Shift+Space.

I think this feature should be implemented to m17n-lib layer. But this
is very critical problem for use, I'll consider a solution.

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
http://kodou.net/