[Uim] im-switcher opens a private file

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Sun Oct 24 00:14:33 EEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:20:01 +0900 (JST)
UTUMI Hirosi <utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> Nosuke wrote "im-switcher opens a private file" in his blog.
> I've found it in http://poincare.ikezoe.net/20041021.html
> (I don't know why they don't report it to uim-ml... :-/)

> $ strace -f -F -o ~/uim-strace.txt uim-toolbar-gtk
> Click 'sw'
> You'll find "No such file or directory" in terminal.
> => Quit uim-toolbar-gtk
>
> $ gedit uim-strace.txt
> Search "no such file" from backward.
> You'll find these lines:
> -----
> !! 4916  open("/home/tkng/uim.d/im-switcher", O_RDONLY <unfinished
> ...> 4914  <... ioctl resumed> , [0])        = 0
> 4916  <... open resumed> )              = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory) 4914  poll( <unfinished ...>
> 4916  write(2, "No such file or directory\n", 26) = 26
> -----

Thanks for your report. This file is opened from in the making function,
should be removed from 0.4.5 release. But I'll leave this problem because
it wouldn't be serious. (Of couser I'll fix until next release.)

When I wrote this function, I had a will to use the file im-switcher to
store history of used input method by user. But I noticed that we should
be careful to treat files, should make internal API for treating files
to avoid code duplication. But this is a little big problem, I abandoned
at that time.

The problem is that where and how uim should store user setting (from
GUI), history about used input method, etc? This may be need a bit long
discussion... I'll start new thread about these new scheme 2 or 3 days
after.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki