[Uim] Re: Turning on/off m17n-lib should be implemented to m17n-lib layer?

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Wed Oct 27 03:24:09 EEST 2004

In article <20041027040701.5f4f8815.tkng at xem.jp>, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> writes:
>>  The m17n-lib itself doesn't read user events.  How can it
>>  know when to toggle an input method?

> The m17n-lib knows user's key events. They would be able to be used for
> switching input modes of an input method.

For that, m17n-lib has to know which key event means
toggling of an input meethod in advance.

> But I think that m17n-lib
> can/can't is not a problem here, m17n-lib should/shouldn't is. (As I
> wrote in the previous mail, I couldn't find an answer to this question
> for now.)

A key to turn on an input method is managed
(i.e. defined/customized) by input-method broker such as uim
and SCIM.  And, an IM broker can use multiple input-method
engines in background.  In this case, if each IM engine
defines its own key to turn off an input method, a usr have
to remember which key to turn off which input method.  It's
a very inconvenient situation.  So, I think a key to turn
off an input emthod should also defined/customized at IM
broker level (I believe using the same key for turning on
and off is the best).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org