[Uim] Towards 1.0

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Fri Aug 5 05:27:41 EEST 2005

Hi Hiroyuki, let's start merging our roadmaps.

At Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:34:55 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> * In 0.5 series (Sep to Oct 2005, hopefully)
>
>  - Introduce SigScheme
>  - Improve key event handling. This will need extension of libuim API.
>  - Improve inter process communication.

I strongly recommend deferring the latter two features to next
development season (aka 0.7).

Since considerable amount of Scheme codes of uim do not have
testsuites to ensure valid execution, it will be achieved by
hands and eyes of users and developers. To limit number of
doubtful factors causing bugs in such situation, code changes
other than SigScheme migration should be minimized.

Yes, the two features themselves are not so complex. But they
may cause combinational explosion of doubtful codes by involving
the SigScheme migration. I prefer strengthening quality
assurance by the conservative development way.

>  - Implement surrounding text support.
>  - Support Thai input method

These two should also be deferred to the next, to keep bridge
codes unchanged.

>  - Improve Japanese preedit handling.

Big changes should be deferred, or moved to 0.4.x
series. Minimizing the difference between 0.4.x and 0.6 is
important.

>  - Merge Park's great Hangul module.(Or should that be developed as
>    independent project?)
>  - Eliminate of uim-dict
>  - Support latin input method
>  - Merge uim.el

These features may safely be added. Supporting dead keys for the
latin IM is small change and will be safe, I think.

> 0.6 series will be stable series. Bug fix only.
>
> * In 0.7 series (Oct to Dec 2005, hopefully)
>  - Define higher level API

What is the higher level API you suppose?

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp