[Uim] Towards 1.0

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Fri Aug 5 19:28:35 EEST 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:27:41 +0900
YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:

> Hi Hiroyuki, let's start merging our roadmaps.
>
> At Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:34:55 +0900,
> tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> > * In 0.5 series (Sep to Oct 2005, hopefully)
> >
> >  - Introduce SigScheme
> >  - Improve key event handling. This will need extension of libuim
> > API.
> >  - Improve inter process communication.
>
> I strongly recommend deferring the latter two features to next
> development season (aka 0.7).
>
> Since considerable amount of Scheme codes of uim do not have
> testsuites to ensure valid execution, it will be achieved by
> hands and eyes of users and developers. To limit number of
> doubtful factors causing bugs in such situation, code changes
> other than SigScheme migration should be minimized.
>
> Yes, the two features themselves are not so complex. But they
> may cause combinational explosion of doubtful codes by involving
> the SigScheme migration. I prefer strengthening quality
> assurance by the conservative development way.

SigScheme and other other big change will not be introduced at the same
time. For me, this seems safe enough. If SigScheme is unstable, then
I'll cancel merging SigScheme on 0.5 series.

> >  - Implement surrounding text support.
> >  - Support Thai input method
>
> These two should also be deferred to the next, to keep bridge
> codes unchanged.
>
> >  - Improve Japanese preedit handling.
>
> Big changes should be deferred, or moved to 0.4.x
> series. Minimizing the difference between 0.4.x and 0.6 is
> important.

Big change moving to 0.4.x is not desirable for me, because after 0.4.8
final, 0.4.x will be maintained as stable.

> > 0.6 series will be stable series. Bug fix only.
> >
> > * In 0.7 series (Oct to Dec 2005, hopefully)
> >  - Define higher level API
>
> What is the higher level API you suppose?

Current libuim API is hard to use for bridge developer, especially for
desktop applications. i.e. Implementing their own candidate window is
hard. higher API will provide candidate window and misc utilities.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
tkng at xem jp