Pluggable module support in uim(was Re: [Uim] Will you upload daily snapshots of UIM?)

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Jan 4 07:37:02 EET 2005

Hi Masahito, I have one suggestion about plugin interface.

The current implementation uses 'plugin_init' as per-plugin
instance initialization. But its common and short name of symbol
will easily be conflicted with other libraries.

$ objdump -TC libuim-m17nlib.so|fgrep .text
00001544 l    d  .text  00000000
00002f10 g    DF .text  0000001e plugin_init
00001bc4 g    DF .text  00000076 uim_quit_m17nlib
00002ce8 g    DF .text  00000225 uim_init_m17nlib

So I suggest renaming the 'plugin_init' with more proper and
specific one such as 'uim_plugin_instance_init'. The
finalization function should also be so.

Hou do you think about?

At Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:48:25 +0900,
omote at t-base.ne.jp wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:08:42 +0900
> TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> wrote:
> > >      b) ~/.uim.d/plugins/ for each users.
> >
> > Is this really need? I couldn't imagine a situation which need this
> > directory.
>
> All user cannot always install to ${prefix}/lib/uim/plugins/. (i.e. All
> user cannot alway have root privilages.) For example, shared machine in
> which uim is already installed in schools, families, etc.... I want to
> support for their environments.

It's reasonable. I had sometimes experienced such situation.

> > I want to implement a list of immodule like /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.
> > i.e. a list of input methods, each input method has infomation about:
>
> Is this list is used in im-switcher?

Hiroyuki, what is your intention? If you suppose 'list of
enabled IM will be appeared in im-switcher', I think that custom
API, uim-pref and ~/.uim.d/customs/ are responsible for it.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp