[Uim] A Korean input module for uim

Park Jae-hyeon jhpark at kias.re.kr
Thu Jun 16 15:30:10 EEST 2005

Hello,

I wrote a Korean input module for uim.  It works with uim 0.4.6final1,
and I tested it with gedit on Debian sarge.  You can find the files at
http://newton.kias.re.kr/~jhpark/uim/ which is an ultra-simple web
page only for posting this module.  Since there is already a module
named hangul.scm, I attached the name that I used for an XIM server
which I wrote 8 years ago using Ximd, which, however, I could not
finish.

This module has the following features:

- Supports four Hangul layouts widely used in Korea, 2-beol, 3-beol
  final, 390, and 3-beol no-shift.

- Offers an option of orderless input for a 3-beol layout, which means
  that a syllable does not have to be entered in the order of
  lead-vowel-trail.

- Input of a symbol by selecting a menu item.

- Korean to Chinese conversion in the unit of word.

In order to use the last feature, you should switch the input unit to
word, which can be done by clicking on the status applet or by
pressing F9 and choosing item number 15 when Hangul mode is on.  The
problem is that you need a dictionary, which is much bigger than
byeoru-dic.scm available at the above web page.  I have a scheme alist
file containing 115526 entries, which I converted from a dictionary
file included in a commercial word processor, but I don't know whether
or not I am allowed to upload this file.

As I said in a previous post, I added code to commit in the reset
handler.  I know you are having discussions on this problem, and I
will modify this part after the API's are determined.

This is my first scheme program.  The code is not very elegant, and
almost certainly it has a bug.  It still needs a lot of cleanup.  Let
me add that I copied anthy.scm and modified it.  Please take a look at
it, and tell me your opinions.

I have questions and/or bug reports on uim, encountered while I was
writing this module.  Let me post them in a separate article.

I would like to thank you uim developers for making this nice
framework, and Choe Hwanjin for allowing me to use the dictionary in
imhangul.

Regards,

Jae-hyeon