[Uim] Questions on coding for uim

Park Jae-hyeon jhpark at kias.re.kr
Sat Jun 18 09:28:07 EEST 2005

Hello,

I have bug reports on UIM.  I am using 0.4.6final1-3 on Debian sarge.

1) UIM scheme interpreter does not have independent boolean values,
   and predicates do not return boolean values.  For example, with
   uim-sh, I get

       uim> #t
       1
       uim> #f
       ()
       uim> (equal? #t 1)
       uim> (boolean? 1)
       uim> (boolean? '())
       uim> (not '())

   while, with guile, I get

       guile> #t
       #t
       guile> #f
       #f
       guile> (equal? #t 1)
       #f
       guile> (boolean? '())
       #f
       guile> (boolean? 1)
       #f
       guile> (not '())
       #f

   As far as I know, scheme should distinguish #t from 1, and #f from
   '().  '() should count as true, not false.  Also, a predicate such
   as equal? should return either #t or #f, and nothing else.  I found
   that this was already reported in the bugzilla as bugs #617 and
   #642.

2) Switching input method does not always work.  I run gedit with

       $ GTK_IM_MODULE=uim gedit

   with no other program using uim, and do

       $ uim-im-switcher-gtk

   After I choose another input method in uim-im-switcher-gtk's window
   and click Okay, sometimes the input method is switched to the new
   one, and sometimes it is not.

3) The optional third argument of delete in util.scm, defaults to =.
   http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-1/srfi-1.html#delete says that the
   default comparison procedure should be equal?.

4) If I click on a submit button before committing preedit in a
   mozilla form, the preedit reappears the next time I begin input.
   For example, at www.google.com, I write in the form,

       はやくちことば

   using anthy, but I do not commit the string by hitting RETURN yet.
   I click on the Google Search button.  Then, I see the search
   results.  Now, when I type a key in the form, はやくちことば
   appears in the preedit area plus the newly typed key.  Maybe this
   is a bug of mozilla, not of uim, in view of the fact that I have
   the same phenomenon with kinput2 + canna.  Probably, this is
   related with the issue of reset, focus-in, focus-out, and
   focus-move.

I have a question on writing scheme code for uim, related to bug 1).
The second argument of context-update-preedit is a list of pairs of
attributes and strings.  According to anthy-input-state-preedit, it
seems that the list is also allowed to have #f or '() as one of its
elements.  Is it #f or '() that can be an element of the second
argument of context-update-preedit?

Regards,

Jae-hyeon