[Uim] Development reformation: Current status of uim

Jae-hyeon Park jhpark at tuhep.phys.tohoku.ac.jp
Mon Nov 21 19:41:39 EET 2005

Hello, Everybody,

Sangwoo Shim <sangwoos at gmail.com> writes:

> YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> writes:
>
> > Does the name 'byeoru' have an meaning? If it's a interpretable
> > hangul word, I would like to know the original characters. Then
> > we can translate or look up the word in several ways (at least
> > some free Korean-Japanese translation service is available).
>
> It is su-zu-ri (すずり) in Japanese, an inkstone.
> In Korean/UTF-8 text, it is 벼루.

Thanks for answering this for me.  :)

> > Second question is not byeoru-specific but about generic "n
> > beol-sik" IMs. What spelling for the word 'beol' is most
> > familiar for native Korean speakers? You use the 'beol', but
> > some other Korean input method use 'bul' for it (And off topic,
> > Japanese refer it as "n boru shiki"). Because I could not judge
> > it, uim-hangul2 and uim-hangul3 are using 'bul' in some
> > description.

In Korean, the names are `두벌식' and `세벌식'.  As far as I know,
`벌' should be written `beol' according to the current romanization
standard which was approved in 2000.  Still, there are many people
using `u' for `ㅓ' instead of `eo'.  This practice seems to have come
from such a pronunciation of an English word as `bus.'  Although this
is a highly debatable issue even among native Korean speakers, in my
opinion, `u' should be used only for `ㅜ'.  Otherwise, `bul' can be
either `불' or `벌'.

> > And what English translation can convey original meaning of "n
> > beol-sik"? Although I know the untranslated "n beol-sik" is
> > commonly used, someone like me may be interested in the meaning
> > since the names "2 beol" and "3 beol" intimate that a systematic
> > composition mechanism are underlying. I know both already and my
> > recognition is "n-set method", but I'm still interested in the
> > recognition on native Korean sense (excuse me, I'm curious on
> > namings).

This requires linguistic sense not only in Korean but also in English.  :)
I would suggest `n-set style (layout)' or `n-set type (layout)'.
Maybe a survey result from kldp.org can help us.

Jae-hyeon