[waimea] Background images, svg, icons

Toby Moore tobymoore at arach.net.au
Mon Jul 12 03:46:42 EEST 2004

Andy Herrman wrote:

> Carl Lucas wrote:
>
>> To get the logo on your desktop, you need to compile waimea with svg
>> support.  For gentoo, it should be as simple as adding "svg" to your
>> USE flags in /etc/make.conf, then re-emerging waimea.  Doing so should
>> compile and install various svg libraries, then recompile waimea with
>> support for them.  (This is an educated guess; I haven't actually
>> verified it on my gentoo box yet.  Let me know if it works.)
>>
>> Carl
>>

> Yep, the waimea ebuild checks the svg USE flag, so setting that should
> work fine
> (good thing you mentioned it, cause I didn't have it set...)
>
>    -Andy

Thanks, this helped me too. I thought I needed a newer (or simply not
XFree86) X server for that background picture, but adding svg to USE did it.

I would like to know how to use nautilus for the desktop though, without
losing the waimea background. Nautilus puts its own background colours
over the waimea ones when it starts, but the pictures here:
http://freedesktop.org/~davidr/screenshots/waimea-2.png show waimea's
background with nautilus's icons/desktop.

Any ideas?

Oh and by the way, is there anywhere to get new waimea styles (short of
making them myself), any particular sites/places you find them?

Thanks
Toby