[waimea] Waimea & Cygwin

Antony Baxter antony_baxter at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 11:46:07 EET 2005

Hello,

I've been attempting to get Waimea running locally in
a cygwin
environment, using the cygwin X-server. My system is
WinXP, SP2, with
the latest version of cygwin installed (DLL version:
1.5.13).

I thought I'd send my question to this list first -
I'm not sure if they
wouldn't be better sent to the Cairo list; if so I
apologise for the off
topic post.

I downloaded and compiled the following:

   cairo-0.4.0/
   glitz-0.4.0/
   libpixman-0.1.4/
   libsvg-0.1.3/
   libsvg-cairo-0.1.5/
   pkgconfig-0.15.0/
   waimea-cvs-23.03.05/

There were a few minor things required to get these
compiled (mostly
libtool stuff). Cairo compiled with the following

   cairo will be compiled with the following surface
backends:
     Xlib: yes
     Quartz: no (temporarily disabled while code is
out of sync)
     XCB: no (requires XCB
http://freedesktop.org/software/xcb)
     Win32: yes
     PostScript: yes
     PDF: yes
     PNG: yes
     glitz: yes

   and the following font backends:
     FreeType: yes
     Win32: yes
     ATSUI: no

and its tests proceeded as follows:

   PASS: fill_rule
   PASS: leaky_polygon
   PASS: line_width
   PASS: linear_gradient
   XFAIL: move_to_show_surface
   PASS: text_cache_crash
   XFAIL: text_rotate
   FAIL: coverage
   PASS: clip_twice
   XFAIL: pixman_rotate
   ====================
   1 of 10 tests failed
   ====================

Despite the one failure I proceeded with compiling and
running Waimea.
It got as far as drawing an X background (a blue
rectangle with 3 grey
rectangles in it - for want of a better description
:), before dropping
out with a Segmentation fault.

I ran it in gdb, and got the following:

ant at beardsley (/home/ant) % gdb
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you
are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of
it under certain
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
(gdb) target exec waimea
(gdb) set args --display localhost:1.0
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/waimea.exe --display
localhost:1.0

0x00bd58bf in _image_glyph_cache_create_entry
(cache=0x10156190,
key=0x22e3a0, return_value=0x22d2c8) at
cairo_font.c:391
391         status =
im->key.unscaled->backend->create_glyph (im);
(gdb)

I've not pretty much reached the limits of my
debugging knowledge and am
stumped! Anyone got any ideas on how I can proceed?

Thanks!

Ant.