VMware & Wayland [WAS Re: Blender3D & cursor clamping]

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Thu Dec 9 12:00:47 PST 2010

Kristian, Others,

On 12/09/2010 08:36 PM, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

>> I'm interested in how Wayland deals with input&  about mouse coordinates.
>>
>> Currently Blender can fake off screen mouse coordinates on X11 by
>> hiding the cursor warping the position.
>> However it would be a lot nicer if the Wayland functions were able to
>> do this. (I heard this is possible on the OSX).
>>
>> Are there any docs on how to grab the mouse cursor, warp the cursor
>> and is there anything like raw events which can be used for low level
>> interface functions?
>>
> There are no docs, but we've discussed similar requirements before:
>
>    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000117.html
>
> The idea is what I call "application pointer" in that email.  The idea
> is that the compositor hides the cursor and just sends relative motion
> events.  The application is then responsible for updating cursor
> position, including pointer acceleration etc, or just not draw a
> cursor but spin a cube, rotate the viewport or control a game.  Now
> one thing I'd like to do different from X is that this mode isn't
> going to be an open ended grab.  The compositor is going to be in
> control and will be able to override it and switch to different
> applications.  I'm thinking that this input mode is only available
> when the application is fullscreen or optionally while a mouse button
> is pressed.  Maybe also while the application has keyboard focus.
>
> Kristian

At VMware, we've started investigating what it would take to support
Wayland, both on the host side (workstation / player) and on the guest side.

For the guest side, it doesn't seem to be too much work except we'd at
some point need full GL, and we perhaps need to find a way to optimize
pageflipping when we can't do it on real hardware.

The tricky thing is the host side. I have a fairly elaborate list of
features, in particular including cursor warping and open-ended grabs
that we, according to the input people, can't work around and that are
used on all hosted systems, like Window, Mac and X11.

So my question is basically, is there a chance for some flexibility here
for very demanding applications?

Thanks,
/Thomas