Ubuntu PPA Re: Ubuntu build tips

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Nov 8 06:02:01 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 08:45:07PM -0400, Darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
>> On 11/06, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> > Also can be obtained from xorg-edgers, or at:
>> >
>> > https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/wayland/+packages
>>
>> I don't know why this was off list.
>
> Wasn't going to mention it until there was actually something worth
> mentioning.
>
>> A PPA is a Personal Package Archive.  This is great because it makes it
>> much easier to install stuff under Ubuntu.  Just do:
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/wayland
>> aptitude update && aptitude install cairo libxkbcommon x11proto-kbd
>>
>> The wayland and mesa packages haven't been completed yet.
>
> The build directions recommend disabling gallium in order to get intel
> working properly.  However I've not gotten a successful build with
> --disable-gallium added.  Unless someone has a suggestion, I'm going to
> try a mesa without --disable-gallium.  Maybe there's a better solution
> anyway.  We will need gallium enabled in mesa for Radeon and Nouveau, so
> hopefully there's a better way to solve this for intel.

Yea, this is something we need to fix in mesa.  The problem is that
the EGL loader prefers gallium drivers, even to the point where it
will load the gallim swrast over the intel DRI driver.  A better work
around may be to not compile the gallium swrast driver, but eventually
we need to make upstream mesa just get the load order right.

>> What's in there that isn't broken, per release:
>>
>> Maverick: cairo
>
> This is the stock ubuntu cairo package with gl enabled.  Untested.
>
>> libxkbcommon
>
> Brand new package for this component.  Also untested.

Also, not API or ABI stable at this point.  I hope we can get it there
for xserver 1.10.

Kristian