GSoC: Hot-Replace Server

Kai Mast kai.mast at freakybytes.org
Mon Apr 4 10:28:38 PDT 2011

Hey Guys,

I was thinking a little more about the Idea of a hot-replacement of
the Wayland-Server and thought this would be a ideal Summer of Code
Project.

Possible use cases:
 * Server crashes
 * User wants to change WindowManager/Compositor

First I would need to define a standarized behaviour for Clients and
Server in these cases and then I would implement it in
libwayland-server and libwayland-client.
Things to implement:
 * Properly deconnecting of the clients
 * Rediscovery of the new Server
 * Assignment of new IDs to the Client-Windows
 * Sample use of this feature in the wayland-compositor (adding a
"--replace" function etc)
 * Cleaning up old resources
 * Creating new resources

Possible Additional Stuff I could do if time let me
 * Notify the new Server about what happened with the old one and
implement a standart way to report crashes and update the
server-settings.
 * Using the new feature to switch video-drivers ( Not really useful
at the moment as there aren't many drivers working with Wayland yet)
 * Upstream Patches for Toolkits ( Maybe to far away from the x.org
project)

About myself:
I'm a 20 year old computer science student in the University of
Bamberg. Being 13, I read my first book about the C programming
language and since then I've been constantly learning more and more
about programming. I have good experience in the use of OpenGL and the
Architecture of 3D engines. Also I've been working with
network-sockets a lot. I hope with participating in this project I can
learn more about the architecture of a display server.

Please tell me what you think about it. I've been watching wayland
development for a while now and really would like to get beyond just
using it personally by contributing to the project. Also I think that
such a feature would help Wayland a lot with becoming more popular as
it would be a big advantage over X.

greetings,
Kai Mast