wayland screen locker and security in general

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Thu Apr 7 07:48:31 PDT 2011

2011/4/7 Corbin Simpson <mostawesomedude at gmail.com>:
> 2011/4/6 Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz>:
>> JFYI I have a desktop environment running completely without dbus.
>> That does not mean that dbus cannot or should not be used. It is just
>> not as standard as the two most bloated desktop environments might
>> make it seem. AFAICT dbus is just a replacement for a directory tree
>> with unix sockets under /tmp. Either is equally functional.
>
> https://twitter.com/1990sLinuxUser/status/55584306621464576
>
> Congratulations. :3

If you have some input on awesomeness of dbus which I miss I am all
ears but so far nobody could point out any advantage to me when this
topic came to the table.

Sure, dbus likely includes a protocol for passing around the messages
but I am sure there are already dozens of protocols for serializing
data into datagrams and/or pipes (which is what all communication
boils down to in the end), and if the one dbus uses is in some way
awesome and standing out from the crowd then the authors and
proponents of dbus fail miserably at explaining that.

Thanks

Michal