Graphics memory management in ARM/Embedded Linux

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Apr 20 06:01:56 PDT 2011

Hi Tom,

On 04/20/2011 03:39 PM, ext Tom Cooksey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please excuse the spam... just trying to spread the word: Linaro is
> currently developing a graphics memory manager for Linux which allows
> buffers to be shared between different devices and different processes.
> On ARM SoCs, many different hw devices need to access the same buffer
> (which E.g. GEM doesn't support). As a simple example, a GPU needs to
> write to a buffer which a display controller reads from. At least in
> ARM-Linux land, this is a fairly hot-topic and a dedicated mailing list
> has been created to discuss different requirements, figure out if
> TTM/GEM can be adapted, etc.
>

> The mailing list is here:

DRI community has basically the same purpose and, as we said before,
this is pretty much a nice subject to discuss there. What's the idea for
creating a new mailing list for instance?

> There's also a wiki page gathering requirements here:
>
> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/Graphics/Projects/UnifiedMemoryManagement

this document doesn't mention anything like contributing back to Linux
mainline and current graphics APIs. So this is smelling like an actual
fork of community...

I hope I'm understanding it wrongly though!

              Tiago