Programs running as different user accounts?

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Sat Aug 13 17:17:04 PDT 2011

Hi.

I was thinking, but I don't know how often something like this will be used:

sometimes a user might need to run a program running as a different user along
with their session (for maybe testing, or something).

Seeing that Wayland uses a file socket, file permissions could get in the way.
Would ACLs need to be used, to allow/disallow users to use the socket? Some
Linux FSes seem to support them, but not every distro use them by default. It
also seems that BSD and MAC do have support for ACL's if Wayland ever needed
to be ported to these platforms...

Is this even a use case worth considering?