wl_shell_surface_resize semantics

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:54:37 PST 2011

On 12/07/2011 02:56 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:

>    * client requests compositor handle resizing
>    * compositor takes over grab handling, sends button release event to
> client, noting through a flag that it's a cancel event rather than a
> physical button release event

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand why a client, that has code in
it to "request compositor handle resizing" cannot also have code in it
to know that it may not get a button release event.

There is no need for a flag on the release event, as it may be sent
before the "request compositor handle resizing" message is transmitted
and thus can be sent with the flag off. Therefore the client must be
able to handle it no matter what the value of this flag is and therefore
the flag is useless.