RFC: multitouch support

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Dec 19 12:47:45 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Tiago Vignatti
<vignatti at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> From: Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti at intel.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> The RFC comprehends four parts:
> - evdev multitouch support for direct devices
> - compositor multitouch events notification
> - libtoytoolkit gesture recognizer for pinch and zoom
> - app cairo image example
>
> The compositor doesn't keep any touch information and just forwards all to the
> picked surface i.e. client. That being said, multiple client support is not in
> place yet and I believe we would have to change the protocol a bit in a way
> that grabs are mapped for each touch point (currently we have only one grab
> per device). Also, the whole multitouch mechanism inside the compositor is not
> reliable in setting the correct pointer focus and picking the according
> surface. I rather not touch this side as well due we'll be changing the
> enter/leave events semantics a bit in input rework.
>
> But at this point it doesn't require any protocol changes, which is rather
> cool. You can check the work here as well:

Hey Tiago,

Thanks for getting this started and sending the RFC out.  There's a
lot of stuff to cover here and for the first few rounds I'd like to
focus on the basics and then add gesture recognizes and pointer
emulation later.  For now, maybe we could take simple-shm, and fork it
into a simple multi-touch paint test app.

As for the first two patches, they look good (I'll follow up with a
few detail comments), but I'd like to keep pointer emulation out of it
for now and just send the touch events.

Kristian