[RFC 0/9] gbm_surface

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Dec 20 19:06:44 PST 2011

2011/12/20 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net>:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Ander Conselvan de Oliveira
> <conselvan2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From: Ander Conselvan de Oliveira <ander.conselvan.de.oliveira at intel.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, in London we discussed moving the drm compositor to a new
>> gbm_surface interface, which would allow the buffer management
>> to be handled by the egl implementation by calling eglSwapBuffers.
>>
>> Here's a prototype implementation of such an interface in mesa and a
>> patch to wayland-demos moving compositor-drm to it. With the changes,
>> the compositor creates a gbm_surface for each output and from that it
>> creates egl surfaces.
>>
>> The compositor is still responsible for the actual flipping. In order
>> to do that, the new interface includes a function for getting a bo for
>> a gbm_surface's front buffer. This change does not impact the ability
>> of scanning out a client buffer.
>
> Hi Ander,
>
> Thanks for getting a prototype implementation up so fast.  It looks
> pretty good, but I think there are a few corner cases we need to think
> about.  Apologies for the long, rambling email.  First of, I talked to
> Robert Bragg in IRC a bit and he had a few concerns/ideas:

Oops, hit send too early (yea, I know it was long enough already...)

> Alternatively (and this is starting to look more and more appealing)
> we could just let the gbm surface manage the KMS page flipping.

Just wanted to add here that this needs a way to push client buffers
into the surface so it can pageflip to them.  That's doable, but the
bigger problem is that with the more complicated KMS features such as
overlays and display sprites, I don't really see a way to make this
work.

Anyway, that's got to be enough on this topic for now :)

Kristian