RFC: multitouch support v2

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 00:43:43 PST 2011

Chase Douglas <chase.douglas at ...> writes:
> I don't think anyone is forgetting about indirect devices, at least I'm
> not :). However, their use scenarios are a bit easier to deal with
> because there's no pointer emulation.
>
> We will also want the ability to have a touchscreen "attached" to a real
> keyboard. Imagine you have a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard. Where you
> touch should change the focus for the keyboard input.

(sorry for deleting history, posting from the Gmane web interface)

Perhaps the best solution is simply to punt grouping input devices to
udev (so that users can write custom rules if need be), and say that
all input sources share focus with fellow members of their group.
This might be compilicated by the desire to move input devices
between groups, though, and before long we end up with something
rather like XInput 2.

I personally think that it would be a *really* good idea to bring Peter
Hutterer into this, seeing as he has literally done this for years, and
certainly has a good idea of where the pitfalls are.