Running on bare hardware

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:16:48 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:28:35AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> We then use libdrm in userspace to abstract away the internal details
>> of the interface,
>> you shouldn't ever be directly talking to drm ioctls.
>>

> I'll take this moment to point out that, while its no excuse to go using them,
> libdrm is actually documented worse than the ioctls (I found one LWN article
> explaining how the ioctls work, I found absolutely nothing on the libdrm API,
> and I've been fumbling through code examples trying to learn it myself). I'd be
> happy to help fix this if I could get someone to sit down and lecture me on it.

When you figure it out, I'd be happy to push the documentation patches
you produce.

Feel free to ask questions, the libdrm API is really an internal API
of the graphics stack,
on its own it doesn't really make a massive amount of sense, it also
contains code to support
previous generations of the API that most drivers will no longer touch or use.

If you are wondering how the drm modesetting API works, its pretty
much based on the X randr 1.2 API.

Dave.