Wayland .deb packages now available in Ubuntu Natty (universe)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Feb 24 18:14:25 PST 2011

Just wanted to mention that we're now carrying a snapshot of Wayland in
Ubuntu Natty.  This probably is of limited interest to waylanders, since
it's an older snapshot (I needed something that would work with stock
mesa and other assorted dependencies), but I've had a lot of people ask
about it.

 $ sudo apt-get install wayland
 $ wstart

('wstart' is just a bash script to start up the compositor and all the
client demo programs, derived from Darxus' Wayland install script.)

The primary aim here was sorting out what we need in terms of
dependencies and to provide it as a proof of concept for Ubuntu app
developers to kick the tires.

Right now, the snapshot I've uploaded is from a few months ago.  Based
on Darxus' advice I think I can update it to a version from January, but
looks like it'll need some packaging adjustments first.  No ETA but
hopefully within a week or so, depending on how things go.

We're going to look into including more current snapshots of wayland in
the xorg-edgers PPA, for those wanting something more bleeding edge but
not wanting to install from git directly.

Bryce