Migrating applications to Wayland

Joakim Sindholt bacn at zhasha.com
Fri Feb 25 09:12:10 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 15:01 +0100, José Expósito wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm the developer of two applications that uses Xlib and Qt.
>
> The fisrt is a "multitouch gesture recognizer", a program that allows
> user to make gestures in a trackpad/touchscreen and execute actions
> like manage windows, change desktops, etc, etc
> (https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/)
>
> And the second is a window manager (https://code.google.com/p/eggwm/)
>
> I see that Wayland will be avaliable for developers in Ubuntu 11.04,
> and ofcourse I'm really interested in migrate these applications, but
> I have some questions:
> 1 - Wayland support window management?
Wayland is a compositor+window manager+display server AIO
> 2 - Have any library like Xlib to work with it?
Not in particular, however I believe there exists a demo toolkit. You're
supposed to use toolkits such as Gtk+ and Qt in order to display things.
> 3 - Is compatible with uTouch?
I'm going to say no, but I don't know what uTouch supports.
> 4 - Exist any program like Xephyr or Xnest that allow run Wayland in a
> dispay (or similar) and test there programs?
Wayland can run on Wayland, X11, DRM, and in the future (now?):
framebuffers. So you can essentially nest it on anything you want,
including itself.

> Thank you very much!

Neither of your projects will be portable to wayland in the way you're
hoping. You'd literally have to work them into a compositor. That is to
say that instead of touchegg communicating with the window system
(compositor), touchegg would have to be part of the window system
(compositor). The same goes for eggwm.

Hope that answers your questions.