Getting pid of focus window

Daniel Poelzleithner poelzi at poelzi.org
Mon Jan 17 15:11:25 PST 2011

Hi,

this weekend i wrote a plugin for ulatencyd which tries to get the pid
of the window in focus so the program can get scheduled with more cpu
slots then other programs. I don't want to flame on X11, but it is
1. Terrible to do. Even with root permissions you need workarounds just
to connect.
2. The window manager needs to set a property on the root window which
window has focus (not everyone does), and complete transversal is just
stupid. Gnome and KDE do at least.
3. The toolkit needs to set the pid and hostname on the window property.
QT and GTK do at least.

I have only looked roughly at wayland, but haven't seen an API for this.
If not, could you add an API for getting such information please.

Kind regards
 Daniel