What exactly triggers creation of a new client in Wayland server

Zan Dobersek zandobersek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:15:32 PST 2011

Greetings,

I'm wondering what exactly sets off the socket_data function in
wayland/wayland-server.c at approximate line 640. I can see that we add a
file descriptor object of our socket to the main loop in
wl_display_add_socket that uses socket_data as the callback function when a
client connects to that socket. Subsequently, we accept the connection in
socket_data and create a new client.

So, what is it in client's code that causes socket_data to be called? Is it
just the mere connect() call to establish a connection through that socket
or is it anything more complex that I have missed?

My knowledge of sockets is quite basic, so I would be happy if someone would
clarify how exactly this bit of code is executed.

Regards,

Zan Dobersek