Some of my thoughts on input for wayland

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:04:35 PST 2011

Chase Douglas wrote:

> Heh, I've heard his distaste of grabs. I haven't had a chance to
> research other mechanisms, so I'm just going on what I know through X.
> I'm certainly not opposed to a better mechanism :).

I really believe passive grabs can be replaced by adding an API that
says "I did not handle this event". It can then be passed to another
window. The typical grabber would be the *last* one in line, not the
first. Wayland itself would have simple unchangable rules about what
windows receive events, but these rules produce a list and it tries each
in turn.

Grabs have the unfortunate problem that the grabber cannot change it's
mind, and grabs must always be obscure key combinations and sequences to
avoid the chance that they will interfere with some program.

I would really love it if "all clicks the program ignored dragged the
window" and things like that.

I can think of a million obvious problems with this but I don't think
they are insurmountable. It would seem more in keeping with Wayland's
design of being minimal. Wanted to know if anything like this is being
considered?