Some of my thoughts on input for wayland

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Jan 25 08:31:26 PST 2011

2011/1/25 Chase Douglas <chase.douglas at canonical.com>:
> On 01/24/2011 09:18 PM, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> I expect gesture recognition will work much the same way.  The
>> compositor gets the input events before anybody else and can decide
>> whether it's a global gesture and keep the events to itself or to
>> forward them to the application.  There is no window hierarchy, so
>> once the compositor decides to send the events to a certain events to
>> a surface, that's where they go.  There is no event propagation or
>> bubbling going on (except what the client may implement internally in
>> its window), there is on need to reject the events or pass them on to
>> another client or back to the compositor.
>
> How will things like browser plugins work without a window hierarchy?

They can render into an EGL Image and share that back to the browser
they plug into.  They can use a custom protocol for communicating
image updates and input events back and forth or they could even use
the Wayland protocol for that (a compositor in your compositor).
Browsers need to composite the plugin contents into the page
scenegraph anyway, which requires more flexibility than a simple
rectangular (or SHAPEd) X window allows.

Kristian