wayland implementation conformance

Sami Kyöstilä sami.kyostila at nokia.com
Thu Jan 27 21:26:36 PST 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:57:29 ext Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> That's a good question.  My intention is to have wayland.xml be the
> official interfaces, but you're right that the drm interface is
> specific to the Linux drm driver model and maybe that should be split
> out into its own file.  Additionally, it would make sense to abstract
> out the wl_buffer creation into a library that server and client can
> link to so that not every toolkit and application that use the wayland
> protocol directly will have to know about every driver specific
> interface for creating and sharing buffers.

Another option would be move the buffer creation entirely to the compositor.
That is, the compositor would call eglCreateDRMImageMesa (or equivalent) as a
response to create_buffer and reply with the new EGL image name. This way
clients would only have to deal with EGL, and the compositor could make
informed decisions on how to allocate the buffers. I think this could also
allow better coupling between wayland visuals and EGLImage formats.

On the down side, this would make buffer creation a round trip to the server.

> Kristian

- Sami