Video cards that work Re: Wayland and R600?

Darxus at chaosreigns.com Darxus at chaosreigns.com
Fri Jan 28 11:21:35 PST 2011

On 01/25, denisw at online.de wrote:
> P.S.: How about a list on the webpage of graphic cards known to work with Wayland (including minimally required kernel / drm / mesa / etc. versions?)

Output through X:

I think anything with DRI2 working will work, which means Intel, AMD/ATI,
Nvidia, using open source drivers.  I don't know how far back.  There's
something weird with the proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers where they
report DRI2 working but.. it's not really?

Output through DRM (outside of X):

Only Intel, i915 (June 2004) or newer.

AMD and Nvidia's open source drivers both have some page flip support now,
which was the last dependency I knew of, but for some reason, which I don't
think anybody knows, they still don't work.  I don't think anybody has
looked at the problem at all.

Kernel:

Everything that works at all works with a standard Ubuntu Maverick kernel,
which is 2.6.35.  And I don't *think* it differs from mainline in any
relevant way.  The page flip support for nouveau probably requires
building a kernel from the nouveau kernel git repo (but doesn't actually
provide additional functionally with wayland at this time).

Mesa:

Non-Intel cards require Mesa from git at least as new as 2011-01-24 for
BGRA support.

libdrm:

I believe with Mesa from git, nouveau and (recently) AMD stuff will
break if you don't use drm from git.

Nothing else should affect what cards do or don't work, and should be
covered in the wayland build dependencies and instructions.

For a more concrete answer, I know these work (lcpci | grep VGA):

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300 GE] (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800 GT] (rev a2)

If anybody wants to email me off list what cards they know do or don't
work, I'm happy to compile a list.  The wayland build instructions are
recently up to date and more thorough, and I believe nothing is currently
broken:  http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html (You may want to read
the Notes at the bottom first.)

--
"Of course there's strength in numbers. But there's strength in sharp
weaponry too. Ironically, this lead to what we call 'civilization'."