Some of my thoughts on input for wayland

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Fri Jan 28 18:16:51 PST 2011

* Marty Jack <martyj19 at comcast.net> schrieb:

> Something equivalent to xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d for devices
> that need some sort of initialization quirk or blacklisting
> (Comes up constantly on xorg mailing list - must address)

I'd prefer an explicit configuration mechanism and an separate
(auto)configuration agent, that speaks to the server and does
things like device probing (with the help of lowlevel device
drivers), etc.

> Something equivalent to passive grabs so that a process can
> own a particular action like Volume Up and be assured that
> there aren't five different processes all trying to control
> the volume.

You're talking about things like those special keys (or key
combinations) found on certain keyboard ? Well, they IMHO should
be either handled completely outside the display system and
*maybe* passed into it by an separate agent. I, personally,
wouldn't want any GUI application to somehow catch those
keystrokes, instead configure explicitly who will get them.

> I continue to hope that there is a path for the "legacy KeySym"
> encodings to be replaced by their Unicode equivalents along
> with some encoding of the function key space.

Quite simple: map the whole key actions to a larger event codespace.
They could be even represented as text strings in the protocol. (eg.
pressing the capital A could trigger some "KEYPRESS-A" event, an Ä
umlaut would have "KEYPRESS-AE", etc). These lowlevel input events
are then mapped by the compositor to the appropriate applications,
dependent on current focus, etc.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666