Input Method support in wayland.

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 15:50:40 PDT 2011

It sure seems to me that this has to be in a library run by the
application, and Wayland just delivers raw events. Reasons include:

- Applications want raw input events a lot (such as graphical portions
where they want the letters to be shortcuts) and thus need to rapidly
and accurately turn input methods on/off. This is trivial if the
application just calls the input method.

- Input methods want to know what text is next to the cursor, not just
what keys were typed.

- Input methods could display small hints in exactly the right font,
size, and position and actually inserted into the text, rather than a
pop-up window or invisible as most compose-key methods do today. Also
allows smarter cancellation, for instance composekey+a+e produces the
ae ligature, but composekey+a shows an 'a' and if the user types 'x'
the result is a and x rather than just x or nothing.

- Most input methods are designed to be synchronous with the
application state. For instance they often want to know when the user
changes what text field is being edited, or they move the cursor, or
select text.

- Avoids putting a big complex api into the Wayland

I can think of reasons to argue against this:

- Input method probably depends a lot on the keyboard layout, meaning
it has to change when an app migrates from one display to another

- Applications can have different input methods, resulting in the
dreaded (though never observed in the wild) "user confusion".

- The library is going to be huge and if it's code or data is not
shared between all instances it will waste memory.

But these sort of arguments can be made about every design decision
about Wayland, and about many portions of X, Windows, OS/X, Android,
and every other user interface ever designed.