Wayland hot-replace server?

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at nokia.com
Wed Mar 9 06:32:15 PST 2011

On 03/06/2011 08:41 PM, ext Bill Spitzak wrote:
> I think the original poster's idea is exactly what is needed:
>
> I the compositor crashes or exits, the clients will detect this. It is
> then the client's job to find a new compositor and recreate their
> state on the new one. Most toolkits store quite enough redundant
> information that they should be able to do this, I would suspect the
> biggest trick will be to completely forget any ids from the previous
> compositor.

Most OpenGL applications are written expecting that GPU resources do not
suddenly disappear, so I don't know how feasible this would be for an
application that uses raw OpenGL. If the application is written against
Qt (the toolkit I'm familiar with), it would probably be possible to
handle it, unless the application uses Qt's OpenGL abstraction classes,
which are basically just thin wrappers above OpenGL functionality
(QGLFramebufferObject, QGLShaderProgram, etc).

--
Samuel