HPC (High Performance Compute) Architecture

Trevour Crow crowtr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 20:14:29 PDT 2011

> From: Josh Leverette <coder543 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: HPC (High Performance Compute) Architecture
> To: "jonsmirl at gmail.com" <jonsmirl at gmail.com>
> Cc: "wayland-devel at lists.freedesktop.org" <wayland-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Date: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 9:13 PM
> http://www.onlive.com ? But yeah, I was
> wanting this to be user transparent for all applications,
> since there is no way we could modify proprietary
> applications that use a lot of processor real estate and
> this would be a one time deal, no need to do it on an app by
> app basis. But, I understand.
I'm actually working with Gallium to make this possible - after discovering
that indirect mode GLX was limited to OpenGL 1.4(or at least the Mesa/X.Org
stack is, which is all I care about), I decided to see if I couldn't use
the pipe/stack tracker architecture to transparently relay rendering
commands from one machine to another; I haven't quite started work on how
"netpipe" will connect to the remote state tracker, but I've started laying down the pipe driver side and it seems possible. This means that, combined
with the remote Wayland GSoC project, what you're talking about should be
possible for any program that ultimately renders using Gallium.