building wayland without X

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Mon Mar 28 07:07:34 PDT 2011

On 03/28/2011 07:08 AM, ext Karshan Sharma wrote:
>     I was just wondering if its even possible to build wayland without
> X right now, since mesa will refuse to build without the X library
> headers (libX11-dev, which depends on a bunch of other X stuff), even
> with the --with-x=no option, or am I doing something stupid ?

for Mesa you will have to opt out xcb dependency from dri2 egl driver
(egl_dri2), which should be straightforward to patch it. The protocol
implementation is not using X at all, and the demo compositor (well, you
shouldn't use it) seems to be a bit tied with X also even if you use
only drm backend.

Another bloated dependency in the compositor is gdk-pixbuf, in which I
had a patch to remove it:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2011-February/000667.html

Cheers,

      Tiago