some documents for buiding and understanding wayland

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 24 02:47:56 PDT 2011

Hi Juan,

On 10/23/2011 01:08 PM, Zhao, Juan J wrote:

> I wrote some documents about wayland. Just share this here and hope this
> may help you.
>
> Welcome to figure out the errors, comments, adding your thoughts and
> your suggestions.

Thanks for doing this!

For the wayland building sheet, the actual building steps are pretty
similar from the ones on the wiki page. I guess we could emphasize there
though, a bit more how to circumvent that eglInitialize error; I have
myself forgot to install xcb-dri2 and xcb-fixes and seen also some guys
on #wayland channel falling into the same problems. Maybe you want to
help writing a patch for the wiki page?

The root permission errors are a bit tricky. We will most definitely
want to use a launcher root program that gives the permissions for the
fd, set tty, and switch to a normal user. I prototyped something here:

   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/wayland-demos/log/?h=launcher-2

About the other document you wrote, that's quite cool as well. We might
want to drop some of what you've done in the implementation part of the
spec - which is not a specification only btw:

   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/tree/spec/main.tex

Then, you put together some information about the interfaces which could
also go in the spec document and some could go in the form of commentary
on the protocol .xml:

   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/tree/protocol/wayland.xml

I hope understand our overall intention here, which is not to spread lot
of documents around but instead try to centralize them.

Thanks again.

      Tiago