I feel configure events and requests are messed up

Benjamin Franzke benjaminfranzke at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:30:48 PDT 2011

2011/9/9 Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni at gmail.com>:
> Il giorno gio, 08/09/2011 alle 17.36 -0400, Matthias Clasen ha scritto:
>> On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 22:35 +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>

>> > Probably I forgot to mention, but at the Desktop Summit it was agreed
>> > that client-side decorations won't happen, neither in KWin nor Mutter,
>> > so the client does not need to worry about what edges it should draw.
>>
>> I think it is time for you to slow down and reconsider a bit.
>> Whether client-side decorations happen in gtk and/or mutter is not for
>> you or the kwin maintainers to decide.
>
> True, but I expect that if client-side decorations won't happen in KDE,
> they won't happen in GNOME as well, as we don't want another
> incompatibility, plus all the code duplication in Gtk, Mutter, Qt and
> whatnot.
> Nobody complained last time I raised this point in gnome-shell-list, so
> I understood that the GNOME community was not against keeping
> server-side windows.
> Of course, there is still plenty of time for discussions, but after a
> BOF where this was the most prominent issue, and after reaching
> consensus even with the one wayland dev present, who was original in
> favour of CSD, I considered it closed.

I guess you mean me, so thats not true.
I've never agreed with those "arguments" [offtopic] about enforcing
server side decorations
(in a god-like behaviour) to prevent inconsistency, nor with server
side decorations at all,
and always stated we want CSD:
As Matthias said, KDE nor Gnome shouldnt think they are dictators, nor
behave that way.
Starting a BoF with "Its decided that we do server-side decorations" ridiculous.
[/offtopic]
Also stop implying server-side decorations in general arguments, this
is really not decided.

You're saying cogl/gdk communicatiion relies on libX11 providing state.
We had similar problems in libEGL, wherefore libwayland-egl was born.
Nowadays wayland-egl became pretty small (it had more tasks in the beginning),
and we want to get rid of it by extending EGL to take over the rest.
The main Problem here is that EGL, cogl, gdk are all designed against
existing underlying libs (e.g. x11),
and the wayland way of _not_ caching isnt respected yet.
I dont think wayland has to be fixed to do this, just because older
software did it that way,
but the wayland users need to be adjusted.
To conclude, I see relying on wayland to chache state as broken.