Slow trailing of mouse movement

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:29:34 PDT 2012

This seems to have gotten worse in the newest Wayland when running the
x11_compositor.

Mouse movement is very slow and trails behind, depending on how many
clients Wayland is running. simple-shm appears to be the worst. It
appears that Wayland is drawing the composite for every mouse movement,
rather than handling all the pending events first and then drawing the
composite for the result.

I am wondering if this is only a bug in x11_compositor, or a more
general bug in wayland itself. That was why I was trying to run the
non-X version (see previous email). In any case I would be very
interested in fixing this since it seems a fundamental problem that
should be addressed asap so I will go searching for this, but if anybody
knows if Wayland always does this or it depends on the setup it would help.

The system is Ubuntu Natty: Linux lulu 2.6.38-13-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP
Tue Feb 14 12:40:40 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

It is a really old box, /proc/cpuinfo says it has 2 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 2.60GHz

Card is also a really old Nvidia card: a GeForce 6800 AGP. I am running
Nouveau with the NV4A driver. There are two screens plugged into it, one
is a modern landscape and the other is an old 1280x1024 monitor.

I/O is a usb mouse, a usb wacom tablet, and a serial keyboard.