How do I run Wayland outside of X?

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:49:08 PDT 2012

> Wayland/weston are installed without the setuid bit in ~/install/...
>
> I am able to launch weston under X with a script that sets the environment
> to look there before running it. I can then run clients by typing them into
> the weston-terminal I can launch from there, or by running from outside
> using a similar script to set the environment.
>
> However I cannot run it outside of X. Perhaps I just need some
> instructions on how to do so.
>
> The best result I have had was by altering weston to chown root.root and
> to turn on the setuid bit, and then running from a pty I switch to with
> Ctrl+Alt+1. In this case it certainly takes over the screen and displays a
> hash of colors and lines that seem to be the same colors as the X display.
> However nothing works and I cannot get out of it except by rebooting.
> Previous versions of wayland I could get out of by typing Ctrl+Alt+8 to get
> back to X, then Ctrl+Alt+1 to get the pty again, and then ^C, but now
> nothing works.
>
> I think perhaps I need to turn off X but I'm not sure how you do that! If
> I don't have to turn off X, can I run it by just clearing $DISPLAY before
> running it?

You shouldn't have to stop X or change permissions on the weston binary. It
should be enough to run src/weston from the weston source directory with
escalated permissions, outside of X (in a tty).

> I tried variations on setting suid on other programs but none of that
> makes any difference.
>
> There is also weston-launch in the newest git repository, but all I get is:
>
> weston-launch: Permission denied. You should..
>  - enable systemd session support for weston-launch.
>  - add yourself to the 'weston-launch' group.
>
> I have no idea how to do this.

I wouldn't worry much about this right now since you're using ubuntu and
ubuntu currently does not support systemd. (See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/systemd for more information). Weston should work
fine in drm but it sounds like your graphics drivers are broken.

Regards,

Scott