Some questions about Wayland

Renaud Hebert renozyx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 00:51:22 PDT 2012

Hello,

In the comments on an article about "the state of Wayland" at lwn
(http://lwn.net/Articles/491237/), two interesting questions were
raised:
1- would gridmgr (an application which place the windows into
predefined grid layouts http://nickbp.com/gridmgr/ ) work on Wayland?
2- same question for Gromit
(http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gromit/) an application which allow
you to "draw" on your screen.

For (1), I think that this would require an extension specific to the
compositor used (Weston, KDE's planned compositor, etc).

For (2), I don't know: I think that this would require some form of
input redirection (there would be a fullscreen transparent windows but
when not in drawing mode it shouldn't receive the mouse events) and I
don't think that Wayland has this feature?

Any idea?

Regards,
RenoX