XWayland is working again

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Mon Apr 23 12:13:54 PDT 2012

I haven't gotten it to work, but krh says it works for him on Intel.
timon37 says it works for him with his Radeon DDX, which hasn't been
mentioned here before, and also with wlshm after replacing instances of
"hosted.h" with "xwayland.h".

This is with Wayland/Weston master, not 0.85.  And krh's modified X.org.

krh's X.org:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xserver/log/?h=xwayland-1.12

krh's Intel DDX:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xf86-video-intel/log/?h=xwayland-1.12

timon37's Radeon DDX:
https://github.com/timon37/xf86-video-ati
<timon37> though keep in mind i'm not taking any responsibility for it;p

Corentin Chary's wlshm (requires replacing hosted.h with xwayland.h):
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~iksaif/xf86-video-wlshm/
(from
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2011-June/001163.html)

After following http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html git clone each
of these, then for each just run:

./autogen.sh --prefix=$WLD && make && make install

And run "weston" as usual.  In its output you should see a line that says:

  xserver listening on display :1

I don't get that line in my output, and haven't managed to track down why.

Weston is listening on the X socket, and spawns X.org as a Wayland client
when the first X client tries to connect.

It looks like most of the work to get XWayland working again with the new
method using a special Wayland aware X window manager was done by Tiago
Vignatti.

Ubuntu Precise packages I installed to resolve xserver build dependencies:
x11proto-xcmisc-dev x11proto-bigreqs-dev x11proto-fonts-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-record-dev x11proto-resource-dev libxfont-dev x11proto-xf86dri-dev x11proto-scrnsaver-dev

--
"I don't want to die... just yet... not while there's... women."
- J. Matthew Root, 8/23/02 (http://www.jmrart.com/)