Running xserver

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 23:29:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:04:10 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. There appears to be no way to get weston to tell the xserver to use
> an alternative config file. So instead I rand weston without --xserver
> and replicated it's launch line inside the weston-terminal:
>
>      Xorg -config ./xorg.conf -wayland -rootless :2 &

Hi,

if you run weston without --xserver, it will never load xwayland.so,
and therefore there will never be the special X window manager, that
will map X window events into Wayland protocol. Therefore you will
never get an X window mapped in Weston.

The special X window manager is implemented in xwayland.so, and for
now, it runs in the same process as Weston.

Just FYI, that it is intentional to not see any X windows when run like
that. Crashes are a different matter.