Running xserver

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:04:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
>
>  Wait, running wayland with the proprietary nvidia driver works at all?
>> Isn't that... not possible (yet)?
>>

> It works using the x11-compositor (ie wayland inside an X window) and
> software emulation of egl by mesa. It's slow but so far the best I have
> gotten (noeveau was faster but it has always had this bug with xcb_poll
> that made x11-compositor run with extreme lag, and new versions it is
> getting the stride of the egl buffers wrong thus producing unusable
> garbage).
>
> I am having zero luck getting "real" wayland running outside of X. It just
> locks up my machine with garbage on one screen.

To run weston with gallium drivers (such as nouveau) on drm, you need
latest mesa with this additional patch
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-August/026341.html

Don't make this worse. I certainly understand where he is coming from, and
> if I really was just trying to make nvidia work I can understand the
> hostility.

The reason I'm not impressed has nothing to do with nvidia or proprietary
drivers, it's because you didn't disclose this information when you
switched, so one could only assume you are still using nouveau.

> I believe I have found a bug that should be fixed that will effect
> everybody who wants to run both Xorg and Wayland with X clients on the same
> machine, and I was annoyed that it was confused with attempts to make
> nvidia work.

Yes, this issue probably needs to be fixed.

> (the bug is that if /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists the wayland xserver always
> reads it. I submitted a patch so that $PREFIX/etc/X11/xorg.conf takes
> precedence. Though now I realize this is not sufficient since it will not
> fix a system installation of wayland. Perhaps a better approach is to fix
> xwayland to not need any config file, certainly it should be able to figure
> out everything it needs from the wayland server).

I never really addressed this patch because it's not something that is
directly relevant to your problem. For what it's worth, I tested on radeon
and wlshm works when running weston with egl software.