concerns over wayland and need for wayland app display to X Server

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 20:58:56 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> There's already a Wayland session that runs on X, and as you asked
> for, an X server that runs rootless on Wayland, with full and proper
> integration with a Wayland session.  Hope this satisfies you.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> A wayland session that can display wayland apps to X? That is good, yes.
It is not precisely what I requested but at least the wayland apps somehow
can get the the X server. What you meant it seems is that wayland
applications would communicate with a wayland server, which would display
then to an X server? I assume that the wayland session would display to the
X server as an X client connection to an X server. That would be useful as
I could run the wayland session on one computer and have it displayed to an
X server on another computer. That is a good feature to have. That would
provide a sort of network transparency for wayland.

However, this would also need to coupled with a feature that would allow
the wayland apps to be told at runtime which of many possible wayland
sessions to display to, including the wayland sessions running on the X
server, at runtime.

It also is slightly different than the idea I originally suggested, which
was to allow for a single wayland app to be sent to an X server, such as by
different client side drivers which provide the client side wayland API, to
be loaded at runtime into wayland applications, which allow wayland
applications to be displayed to different targets, one of these drivers
would be a driver with an  xlib client library in the driver as the
backend, which would allow an individual wayland application to display to
an X server, rather than an entire wayland session displayed to an X
server. That would sort of allow individual wayland applications to be
network transparent, rather than an entire wayland session.

However, it may be suitable, If i wanted to display a single wayland
application to another computer, to create a single wayland session to be
displayed to X server, having that sent over an X client connection to an X
server on another computer.