concerns over wayland and need for wayland app display to X Server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 22 14:13:24 PST 2012

Hi,

On 22 February 2012 21:34, David Jackson <djackson452 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned, counting on applications is really not a reliable method,
> some programmers are sloppy and wont do it. The capability really needs to
> be somewhere in wayland to sort of be able to count on it.

Toolkits deal with these kinds of issues so applications don't need
to.  If you decide not to use a toolkit and write your application
badly, then yes, it won't work well.  That's not something Wayland can
or should attempt to solve.

> If an expose event is not given to an application, how can it know when to
> send new data to be displayed in just exposed areas of the app.

Because all areas of surfaces are (can be) visible at all times.
Expose events simply do not exist, for a multitude of reasons.

Cheers,
Daniel