concerns over wayland and need for wayland app display to X Server

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 11:42:44 PST 2012

> I apologize if I am asking questions here that are ignorant. Appications
> it sounds like to me need someway to send a vector command such as an
> OpenGL command, to render a square, to the GPU.
>
> How does a wayland app do that? How does a wayland app tell the GPU to
> render a square 30x30 at coordinate 40x40? Keep in mind, there are many
> different manufacturers of GPUs and each may have different bugs and
> differences in the interface to the hardware, if not a completely different
> hardware interface, and an application is not going to know about every GPU
> that exists.
>
> A purpose of a driver is to isolate applications from hardware so an
> application does not need to know about the 500 different hardware devices
> and each of their hardware interfaces, but instead can use a single API for
> all of them. This is to avoid putting hardware specific code in
> applications, and its a good design technique.

As Daniel just stated, Mesa is a graphics library covering just about every
capable GPU out there. It implements the OpenGL API and allows clients to
draw without caring about what hardware it's running on. You really should
do some (or a lot) of reading to gain a better understanding about what
you're asking before frivolously bringing about further unfounded concerns.

Scott