concerns over wayland and need for wayland app display to X Server

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:03:27 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As reiterated earlier, there is already support for displaying on an X
> server within the Wayland compositor, and the reverse of having an X
> server display X applications within a Wayland session.  I also fully
> expect remote-display capabilities will be developed for Wayland which
> will be a great deal faster than X11, as X11 requires an insane amount
> of network bandwidth to use as a bandaid over its complete lack of
> client/server/window-manager synchronisation, and also requires a lot
> of roundtrips which are extremely expensive and make the performance
> of your entire session bound on some very unfortunate multiple of the
> link latency.

So, I will be able to display wayland session, or did you mean individual
wayland apps, onto an X server, over an X protocol connection, to a
standard X server? If it is an entire wayland session tht can be displayed
over X protocol to a standard X server, that would be sufficient, as long
as the wayland session can be displayed only to the X server and does not
have to be displayed to real hardware at the same time.