[RFC] Updated plane handling

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Jan 16 19:12:18 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> This set refactors thing a bit more and tries to somewhat unify
> presentation of primary and sprite surfaces.  I broke something though
> because terminal-in-a-sprite no longer works, but I think the
> refactoring is interesting to look at anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?  Kristian, you mentioned something about a buffer
> reference structure; how would that fit in here?  Would we track a list
> of them in the output?

Yea, I think unifying handling of sprites and main fbs make sense.
The buffer reference thing I had in mind is some like what I've
attached here.  Whenever we set up a buffer for a later page flip, we
need to track it and deal with it if it gets deleted by the client.
And we need to send out the buffer release event for the old fb when
the pageflip to the new one happens.  We need to do that for both the
main fb, but also for sprite fbs.  So the idea is to factor out that
logic into a struct drm_buffer_reference structure that we can reuse
for all the fbs.

Btw, you still have the repaint as a backend hook, we shouldn't need that now.

Kristian