Mesa and nouveau and virtualbox?

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Sun Jan 29 16:30:29 PST 2012

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:43:34 PM Joakim Sindholt wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 16:14 -0500, nerdopolis wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am working on a Wayland live cd, and it seems one of my testers is
> > having some issues with running Wayland on his nvidia card. The
> > weston-compositor is displaying a window, but the contents of the
> > weston window are garbled, and weston-desktop-shell is failing to
> > start.
> >
> > I also am having issues on virtualbox with mesa, where the weston window
> > is a blank screen. None of the included wayland clients start
> > (including weston- desktop-shell) but I am able to start a wayland qt
> > application from my live disk no problem in virtualbox. I tried getting
> > him to run a qt app on his nvidia box, but he got another error, that I
> > am not sure how he got it in the first place.
> >
> > It works great in running bare on my intel GPU.
> >
> > Do I need that kernel patch on the how to? One of the links is failing,
> > and the Live CD uses kernel 3.2...
> >
> > Am I missing something in Mesa? I tried messing with some EGL variables,
> > with failures, and some segfaults.
> >
> > These are the options I am passing to build Mesa:
> >
> > WLD=/usr/local
> > ./autogen.sh --prefix=$WLD --enable-gles2  --with-gallium-
> > drivers=nouveau,svga,swrast  --with-egl-platforms=x11,wayland,drm
> > --enable-gbm --enable-shared-glapi
> > --libdir=$WLD/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -
> > qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
> >

> > ($(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) is for Ubuntu's multiarch)
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> To the best of my knowledge- and please correct me if this is wrong: the
> kernel doesn't have the proper facilities to run Wayland without an
> actual GPU, and the vbox emulated GPU doesn't have a kms driver, nor
> does it have a proper GEM implementation.

[Forgot to do reply all]

I think thats to run it in a TTY? I'm running it in X11 mode in virtualbox,
and my live cd user is using it in X11 mode. The Wayland compisitor, and the
QT Wayland app started in virtual box, But the default clients aren't I think
because of Mesa and EGL. (although the Nouveau user is also getting a garbled
screen with no clients running)